5 Steps to Organize Your Power Tools with a Heavy-Duty Garage Tool Box
Have you ever wondered about the best way to store power tools in your garage? You can pick between multiple approaches to organizing tools and other items kept in your garage. That’s why the primary priority is sorting things, so you know where everything is and minimize clutter.
During the organization process, you’ll probably realize that a garage tool box is an essential component to get your items into order. If you need some guidance on organizing the tools, here are the crucial steps to consider in the process!
Step 1: Choose the Right Tool Box
The first thing you need is the right tool box. There is no one-size-fits-all formula because it’s all about your requirements. That’s why you want to start by checking out the tools you want to store in the box.
Here are some questions to ask in the process.
Do You Have Many Large Tools That Require a Storage Room?
If you have a big number of bulky power tools, you’ll need a large organizer. That’s why you can consider garage tool box cabinets that offer sufficient room for each device. If you don’t use those devices frequently, it’s convenient to store them out of sight.
For professionals who often take their tools to other job sites, you can always purchase a portable tool box with the main organizer. An excellent suggestion is an aluminum triangle tool box equipped with side handles for easier movement.
Would You Like Multiple Zones for Different Items?
If you have different tool types, it might be smart to find a garage tool box organizer with drawers. That way, drawers, and shelves can be separate zones where you’ll position specific item categories. If you go with closed drawers, make sure to label them. That’s how you’ll know what’s inside without even opening the draw, which can be a huge timesaver.
A rolling chest and cabinet combo can be convenient as it has generous room for storing all the required items while giving you the option to move the construction around the garage.
Other Things to Consider When Choosing the Tool Box
Here are some other things to take into account when selecting a garage tool box:
- Materials – high-quality materials like steel will ensure the box lasts for a long time. Also, there should be no spot welding.
- Warranty – some manufacturers are ready to offer a generous warranty for their products.
- Weight capacity – this capacity can be crucial if you plan on storing bulky power tools.
- Locking systems – not only a lock or latch for the tool box protects the items inside, but it also ensures no one else can access the organizer.
- Portability – if you need the box to be portable, side handles could be a convenient addition.
Step 2: Sort All the Tools to Know What’s for Storing
It would be fantastic if you have a garage table or any other area where you could arrange all tools and divide them into different categories. Thanks to this, you should achieve an improved organization-level and it will help with placing tools in different zones.
Check out the sorting categories you can use:
- Large and small power tools (different sections)
- Screwdrivers (if you have sufficient amount, sort by sizes)
- Small items (screws, nails, etc.)
These are merely suggestions because every garage owner is different. Make the categories and subcategories as you see fit, and depending on the items owned. It’ll be easier to arrange the garage tool box later and ensure all items are accessible quickly.
Step 3: Check to See If There Are any Redundant Items
Garages often serve for storing unnecessary items that you only used once. The odds are there is at least one item that’s not working, so how about using this chance to check everything?
The primary consideration is that the tools work properly. If you encounter a dull saw blade, consider if it’s worth sharpening it. Don’t hesitate to throw away or donate the unusable items. Achieving optimal organization has a lot to do with decluttering, especially if you have large items.
Step 4: Decide the Location for the Tool Box
If you pick a rolling tool chest, you can move it around the garage whenever necessary. However, these solutions often offer restricted storage space, which is why cabinets and organizers might be a better choice. However, it’s vital to find the best location for these systems.
Those with restricted garage room might only have a single free wall available, and that’s where they place the cabinets. If you have multiple options, you can consider choosing one closer to the working area. You don’t want to go to an opposite garage corner whenever you need a tool.
Step 5: Arrange the Tools
It’s time for the crucial step, and that’s arranging the tools in your box! Since there is no general rule on what goes where it’s up to you to arrange the items how you see fit.
However, here are some expert tips to use during the process:
- The heaviest tools should always go in the bottom compartment. Thanks to that, the tool will have added stability. Additionally, there’s no risk of a tool falling from a top-shelf on your fit and injuring you.
- Place the most frequently used tools in a compartment that’s easily accessible. If you use cabinets with multiple shelves, it’s the shelf you can reach without stretching your arms or having to bend down.
- Aim to group the tools in a meaningful way. For example, if you place a hand drill in one cabinet, make sure you don’t have to make unnecessary steps to find suitable drill bits.
The experts suggest using labels, especially if using garage tool box cabinets. That can also help if you have tools and items of different sizes. It’s easier to label each compartment, so you can find the size you require quickly.
If you don’t keep your power tools organized, you’ll lose precious time looking for the desired devices. That’s why it’s worth investing in a decent garage tool box that meets your expectations. It’s all about finding a storage solution that best fits your needs. The good news is the market offers numerous options for storing tools and other items. All you should do is find your favorite and get your garage organized today.